Monday, April 23, 2012

At Least the Carpet is Nice and Variegated

Today at church I got a new calling.  I am now the 2nd counselor in the Primary Presidency for our ward.  (For those unfamiliar, there is a president and two counselors over the Primary.  We oversee the needs of the Sunday School program for all of the children in our congregation.  In this case, there are 100+ children.)

For the last 9 months or so, I have had the calling of a Primary class teacher.  I have been teaching one class of about 6-8 children.  They are 7 and 8 year olds.  I've been super lucky because since the new year, this is the class Claire is in. But I will no longer be teaching this class.  Claire is sad.  I'm excited for my new assignment, but it is a little bittersweet to not teach these kids anymore.

Today, one of the boys in my class saw fit to make my farewell easier.

After our individual class hour, we wait in the hallway outside the common Primary room while the previous group of younger children finish up.  Today I went around the corner to return some chalk I had borrowed from the library.  When I got back, there was a spot of throw-up on the floor.

I came to find out that in the few minutes I was gone, one of the boys tried stuffing his ENTIRE necktie inside his mouth.  This caused him to gag, and the rest, as they say, is history.  It wasn't that bad, but it was still pretty funny in a what-else-can-you-do-but-laugh kind of way.  I'm so glad to know my children aren't the only ones who do things like this.

Amazing how much can go wrong in the time it takes to walk around a corner.

But maybe I'm reading this all wrong.  Maybe this isn't a farewell from my old calling, but a warning about just how crazy things are about to get???

No comments: