Monday, November 15, 2010

Science Project

One day I looked out my back door window and saw that there were no leaves left on my pentas.  I went out to investigate and found no less than 8 hornworms (6 green and 2 brown) trying to live off the four plants in my pot.  These were pretty impressively big caterpillars, so we saved them and did a little research.  We determined that they would become tersa sphinx moths.  So we made a little habitat for two of them and released the rest.  I just didn't have enough penta plants left to feed more than two!  For about a week they lived in my glass cookie jar.  (But I promise I sanitized it really well afterward, so it's safe to eat cookies next time you come to my house!)  Then the caterpillars went into their chrysalises for a couple weeks.  One morning, we woke up to this:

2 comments:

Leann said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

suuuuper cool picture!
although i'm terrified of moths