Thursday, April 23, 2009

Put That Thing Back Where it Came from or So Help Me, SO HELP ME!

My parents came out for a visit awhile ago. We did so much while they were here they completely wore me out! For example, they helped me completely detail the minivan one day and another day my mom whipped up a new Boppy cover for me one afternoon between entertaining my kids and making dinner. And yet we still managed to have tons of fun too. I'll take it.

The best part about my parents visiting is always the food. I think I gained most of my weight for this pregnancy just in the 5 days they were here! I blame the fact that I now weigh as much as I did when I delivered Scott on them. Well, and I guess the holidays didn't help. And the constant eating to combat nausea in the first trimester. Hmmm... so maybe I shouldn't blame them entirely... but anyway. The point is, when they come they bring about half a Trader Joe's store with them. However, cheese doesn't pack as well, so we made a trip to Whole Foods to pick up a nice selection of cheeses (curse you Texas for not having Trader Joe's!!!).

There were some samples of cheeses out for tasting, and the kids love samples. (Who doesn't?) We let them taste the first cheese we came across and they liked it despite it being something more exotic than cheddar, so when we came to the next one we didn't hesitate to give them a taste of that too. Apparently Scott wasn't a big fan of that particular one. But rather than tell us like he usually does, he decided to take care of things all by himself. The adults were all chatting about what cheeses to get when suddenly we were aware of a spitting sound. We looked around to see Scott spitting every last trace of the cheese sample from his mouth back into the sample tray. EEEK! This was something like $10/lb cheese and we had scoop about half the tray of samples into the trash because they had been contaminated by Scott spit and masticated cheese. It was probably $5 in cheese, minimum. I'm just glad the customer next to us at the deli counter was laughing and not chasing us out of the store, pelting us with reusable shopping bags and organic rotten tomatoes.

2 comments:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

my parents feed us well when they come, too. never been to trader joe's, but I hear lots of folks love it. I love your title, Michael and I find ourselves quoting that line often around the house.

Leann said...

LOL! I'm sorry, but I would've been rolling on the floor!
I like Whole Foods... I still remember the yummy meal that we ate there!
And oh the joys of your parents visiting... I know how hard it is to resist food when they are around... I don't blame you one bit for gaining the weight.