Monday, December 10, 2007

When the Frame is Bent Like an Accordian...

I know you all have been waiting with bated breath to hear the final verdict on our minivan.

The repairs estimate came to (drum roll please...):

$10,700

That's more repairs than our other car is worth! But they're NOT totaling it. It's more than half the value of the minivan, but I guess that's not the threshold they're using. Apparently it's worth fixing. I guess that's what I get for keeping the interior clean and the paint waxed. (The same thing happened when we hit a deer almost 6 years ago in our old car. They almost totaled it, then saw what good condition it was in and decided to repair it. I really need to start letting junk collect in my cars so they look trashier when they get in wrecks...) Supposedly it will take 3 1/2 weeks. Yah. We'll see about that. I'll believe it when I'm driving home from Home Depot with landscaping supplies in the back of my minivan. (Did you know that you can fit a full 4x8 sheet of plywood lying down flat in the back of the Toyota Sienna? I know this because M has happily gloated about it many, many times...)

But wait, there's more! In other car accident related news, we'll be picking up a rental car tomorrow morning. Courtesy of Mr. 87-Year-Old-Who-Pulled-Out-in-Front-of-Me's insurance. They haven't officially accepted liability yet, but c'mon, we all know it's only a matter of time. We've been spending additional eons on the phone and after talking to the other guy's insurance, among others, we feel safe going ahead and getting the rental knowing that they'll cover it in the end.

3 comments:

Ralphie said...

Double gulp and then wiping of forhead. Thank heavens you know where to point the finger because I'm guessing Claire wants a Christmas.

Kristi said...

The next time you plan on getting in an accident (obviously you planned on it this time) call me two days in advance and we will switch cars. In just two days I will have your car looking like a piece of hud, simply by driving it around. It may only take one, depending on the day.

Sheyenne said...

Wow, insurance companies will do absolutely anything to save a few dollars. Will this be safe? I'd be wondering about repairing such extensive damage and not having it be as strong as it once was. I'm sure this comment is really helpful since you don't have any choice in the matter.... :(