Monday, October 13, 2008

What I Want My Children to Learn from Me

Now you know how things roll around here. We don't do sappy on this here blog. But in the past a few of my friends have posted about what lessons they would like to pass on to their children. It got me thinking. It was a tough choice, but in the end I think I'd have to go with:

Correlation does not indicate causality.

Touching, I know. Of course there are more important things, but they're kind of a given. Really, this is something I think I am somewhat uniquely capable of passing on to my children. A firm grasp of basic statistics. Just think how much better the world would be if everyone understood that just because two things tend to happen "together" DOES NOT mean that one caused the other. Are you following me? Let's try an obvious example. When do kids usually start losing their first tooth? When do kids usually start public school? About the same time, right? So starting school causes kids to lose their teeth, right? Of course not, but society makes assumptions like that more often than we might like to admit. If my children can internalize this advice, then maybe they'll be capable of designing scientifically worthwhile experiments. Maybe they won't make rash judgments. Maybe they'll never get suckered into acupuncture.

Maybe I could jazz it up a little and hang it on my wall. I'm thinking floral cross-stitch:


What would be on your "cross stitch"?

5 comments:

Jules said...

Hey, make one of those for me too, will ya? (I'll pay you....) It is truly beautiful work!! ;)

Seriously, my mother's a statistician and I seriously plan on passing that same sound information onto my children!!

Bart said...

This whole post was to get that little sucker punch in on acupuncture, wasn't it? Impressively well done.

Acupuncture got rid of a terrible headache I had in Korea one day. We were at some people's house and when I mentioned I had a headache, they whipped out a little kit, poked my hand and lit it on fire. No kidding, my headache was gone within seconds, and my hand felt just fine. It was awesome. I've never tried a more extensive treatment, however. Let's be honest - it's pretty crazy stuff.

Ralphie said...

Suckered into acupuncture! Eheheh ha HA! You make me laugh.

azufelt said...

Yeah, I'll take one of those embroidered babies also!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

that would make a lovely cross stitch...just for the record, my oldest did not lose his first tooth until the beginning of first grade